Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease
Cervical Degenerative disc disease is an age-linked illness that occurs when one or more of the intervertebral discs breakdown resulting in pain. It can also create discomfort. This corrosion is referred to as cervical degenerative disc disease or cervical disc degeneration and directly affects intervertebral discs and may lead to spinal stenosis.
Symptoms of Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease
Following are the symptoms which show degenerative disc disease in the neck or the cervical spine:
- Reduced flexibility.
- Neck pain.
- Pain scorching to the back of the shoulder or into the arms.
- Numbness and burning in the arms and hands.
- Pinched Nerve.
- Leg pain and lower back pain.
Diagnosing Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease
Our neuro spine specialists will diagnose whether you are suffering from degenerative disc disease in the neck by:
- Checking the strength, flexibility, and movement in your neck, arms, and legs.
- Ordering imaging tests such as X-rays, CT scans, or MRIs.
If degenerative disc disease occurs, the images will often show a contraction of the spaces between your vertebrae, which specifies that one or more discs have weakened or collapsed. The X-rays may also show bone subdivisions. Sometimes disc corrosion and bone spurs can compress nerve roots.
Treatment for Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease
Your discomfort and pain may be a natural cause of aging, or it happens due to an injury. The treatment options for cervical degenerative disc disease depends on the range of deterioration. Your specialist may recommend a soft cervical collar for your neck to rest, anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or surgical treatments best suited to your condition
Need help finding a doctor who gives you the best neuro spine care in New Jersey? Call us now and schedule your appointment today.
How Can I Prevent Degenerative Disc Disease From Getting Worse?
You can prevent degenerative disc disease from getting worse by adopting the following measures:
- Adopting a healthy lifestyle.
- Exercise daily.
- Quit smoking.
- Quit alcohol consumption.
What Vitamins Are Good for Degenerative Disc Disease?
- The shock-absorbing discs in the body are composed of collagen. So by taking Vitamin D, we can enhance the overall strength of the bones.
- You can take multi-vitamins for strengthening your bones so as to protect them from any kind of degenerative disease.
Is Heat or Ice Better for Degenerative Disc Disease?
- Yes, the application of both hot and cold treatments is quite effective in relieving pain and swelling symptoms.
- You can apply ice on the affected area for 10-20 minutes to relieve pain.
Can You Become Paralyzed From Degenerative Disc Disease?
- The degenerative disc disease can cause severe damage to your neurological condition.
- In case if your condition gets severe, then you may be at risk of getting paralyzed.