Back & Spine
Back pain is one of the most common reasons people go to the doctor or miss work, and most people have back pain at least once in their lifetime. At the Complete Medical Wellness, our goal is to relieve your back pain and restore your ability to enjoy your favorite activities. Our back and spine specialists have extensive experience diagnosing and treating nearly every type of back and spine injury and condition, from the most common to those that are extremely rare.
Non-Surgical Back and Spine Treatments
Different kinds of pain respond to different kinds of treatment, and your specialist will help to determine what non-surgical treatment options are right for you. Some of the treatments we offer include the following:
- Epidural steroid injections are anti-inflammatory and anesthetic medications injected into your spinal canal. They’re used to decrease swelling and the pain associated with it. This procedure may be appropriate if you suffer from herniated/bulging or degenerated discs.
- Epidural lysis of adhesions are injections of medication at an affected nerve root to dissipate scar tissue and help decrease chronic low back pain.
- Facet joint blocks are anti-inflammatory and anesthetic medications injected into a facet joint, which is located on the back of the spine where the vertebrae overlap and help guide the movement of the spine. Patients with degenerative disc disease and increased weight and pressure on the joint will benefit from the procedure.
- Nerve root blocks are injections to relieve pain in the nerves that are directly off the spinal cord. The nerve that’s causing the pain is pinpointed and blocked.
- Radio frequency ablation heats a nerve to eliminate its function, thereby eliminating the pain triggered by that nerve.
- Sacroiliac joint injections reduce inflammation and discomfort in the hip joint.
- Intradiscal electrothermal therapy heats a needle inserted into a painful disk to eliminate the pain receptors there. This procedure can help patients with chronic disc pain who wish to avoid surgery or patients whose previous surgery has been unsuccessful.
Back and Spine Surgery
When non-surgical back and spine treatments are unsuccessful, or if your injury or condition is too advanced for non-surgical treatment, you may need surgery. The back and spine surgery specialists at the Complete Medical Wellness will work together with our multidisciplinary teams of specialists, including neurosurgeons, physiatrists, rheumatologists, orthopedic surgeons, and physical and occupational therapists, as well as with you, to determine what surgical option will deliver the best possible outcome.