What is Sports Medicine?
Sports Medicine, also called Sports and Exercise Medicine (SEM), is a medicine branch that deals with treatment, prevention, and rehabilitation of injuries related to sports and exercise. The primary purpose of sports medicine is to help people engage with games and exercise safely and effectively.
What is Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine?
Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine includes treatments for preventing and treating foot and ankle injuries caused by sport/exercise accidents. Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine consists of a variety of physical conditions, including:
- Acute trauma of the foot and ankle – such as fractures, sprains, strains, and dislocations.
- Chronic conditions of the foot and ankle – including tendonitis, degenerative disease, and overtraining syndrome.
- Preventative treatment of the foot and ankle include exercises and training designed to increase the agility, flexibility, and strength of muscles.
Who Needs Foot and Ankle Sports Medicine?
Whether it’s sports or exercise, people who enjoy an active lifestyle usually need foot and ankle sports medicine. Almost all games can increase the risk of a foot and ankle injury. Still, sports like tennis, volleyball, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, rugby, running, softball, and hockey are more endangering.
Individuals who are engaged in these sports need preventive foot and ankle sports medicine to prevent injuries. Other than that, individuals who have already suffered from injuries of the foot and ankle will need acute or chronic trauma treatment.
People who suffer from the following conditions may need foot and ankle sports medicine:
- Ankle sprains.
- Chronic Ankle Instability.
- Achilles Tendinopathy.
- Foot and Ankle Fractures.
- Achilles Tendon Injuries/ Tendonitis.
- Foot and Ankle Ligament Sprains and Strains.
- Torn Ligaments of the foot and ankle.
- Torn Tendons of the foot and ankle.
We promise to get you back on your feet! Call us today to schedule an appointment.
How to Get Relief from Foot and Ankle Pain?
- If you are experiencing pain in your foot, you should use the RICE protocol. Rest, Ice, Compress, and Elevate to relieve the foot and ankle pain.
- If the pain persists, then schedule an appointment with your doctor immediately.
How Sprained and Twisted Ankles are Treated?
- Depending on the sprain’s severity, non-surgical and surgical treatments may be recommended to treat a strain.
- In a mild sprain, doctors recommend RICE protocol, non-steroidal pain medication, and light physical exercise.
- In some cases, doctors may even prescribe foot and ankle brace to restrict movement. In severe cases, surgery may be essential.
How to Reduce Chronic Swelling in my Ankles?
- Chronic swelling in ankles can have multiple causes. A strained ligament is the most likely cause of swelling in ankles from a sporting injury.
- To reduce the swelling, you should rest your feet, limit your movement, and don’t put weight on the affected foot.
- You can also apply ice to the swollen ankle 3-4 times a day for 15-20 minutes.
- You can wear a compression bandage to help heal the ligaments faster.
- Finally, keep your foot elevated with the help of a cushion or a footstool.
- If the swelling persists, schedule an appointment with a doctor.
What Types of Conditions Are Treated by a Sports Medicine Physician?
A Sports Medicine Physician can treat the following conditions:
- Low back or neck sprains.