X-LIF Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion
About X-LIF (Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion)
External Lateral Interbody Fusion or X-LIF is a sophisticated, minimally invasive procedure for spinal fusion. In traditional open lumbar interbody fusion, a spine surgeon accesses the spine through a posterior incision. In contrast, in X-LIF procedures, a surgeon creates anterior access to the spine, which causes minimum damage to the spinal nerves and tissues.
Who Needs X-LIF
An Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion surgery is prescribed to:
- Patients who have been diagnosed with a herniated disc or a degenerative disc disease.
- Patients who are experiencing symptoms of a herniated disc or a degenerative disc disease such as acute neck pain, acute back pain, numbness in legs, etc.
- Patients who have not found pain relief after 4-6 weeks of non-surgical treatments
An XLIF surgery is also appropriate for patients suffering from Posterior pseudoarthrosis, Adjacent level syndrome, or Post-laminectomy syndrome.
How is X-LIF Performed?
An Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion XLIF surgery is a simple, yet advanced procedure performed by expert surgeons in the following steps:
- The patient is given general anesthesia
- Two small incisions are made; one towards the back and one on the side to pass the instrument which will remove the herniated disc.
- Tubular dilators are inserted to create a space through which the spine can be accessed.
- Once the lumbar spine is accessible, the herniated disc is removed to decompress the pinched nerve.
- The surgeons place a bone graft or implant in the empty disc space for optimal spinal fusion. Depending on the patient’s condition, screws, rods, and plates may be placed to provide additional strength to the spine.
- The instruments are retracted, and incisions are sutured.
XLIF surgery can minimize surgical complications, provide a stable fusion, relieve painful nerves, and optimize spinal balance. If you are looking for Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion treatments in NJ, then you should contact Complete Medical Wellness (CMW).
CMW is a neuro spine center, acknowledged for providing reliable neuro spine treatments in NJ. It is one of the first medical facilities to provide Extreme Lateral Interbody Fusion treatments in NJ. Along with X-LIF, the facility has a range of minimally invasive procedures for cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine surgery in NJ. We offer endoscopic as well as laser spine surgery.
Our center is fully equipped with the latest mechanisms in neuro-spine treatment modalities and houses one of the best spine surgeon in NJ. Our spine specialists take care of their patients and are with them on their path towards recovery. We pride ourselves for providing the most reliable spine surgery in NJ.