Open Lumbar Decompression And Fusion
About Open Lumbar Decompression And Fusion
Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion Surgery treats the symptoms of spinal disc disorders such as herniated discs or degenerative disc diseases. Spinal disc disorders compress spinal nerves, causing pain and numbness in the legs or back.
An Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion surgery removes the part of the disc, which is putting pressure on the spinal nerve root. The pinched nerve is freed to relieve pressure, alleviating pain. Once the pressure is relieved, the vertebrae of the affected disc are fused together to increase spine stability.
Who Needs the Surgery?
Patients who are suffering from the following are eligible for an Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion surgery:
- A slipped or herniated disc
- Spinal stenosis
- Metastatic spinal cord compression
- Spinal injuries which compress spinal nerves
- Degenerative disc diseases
- Previously failed spinal fusion surgery
Patients often experience similar symptoms in these diseases. They will experience severe neck pain, back pain, and pain the legs. Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion surgery is typically performed to alleviate this pain; the surgery is recommended only after nonsurgical treatments fail to provide relief.
How is it Performed?
An Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion surgery is performed in the following steps:
- The patient is given general anesthesia
- The patient is positioned on his/her stomach. A large incision is made posteriorly to access the spinal cord within the spinal canal.
- Once the area has been dilated, the surgeon performs a laminectomy or a discectomy to relieve pressure from the nerve root.
- Once the pressure is relieved, the spine surgeon joins the vertebrae of the affected disc with the help of a bone graft to fill the empty space and provide stability to the spine.
- Instruments are retracted, and the incision is closed with sutures.
This is an invasive surgical procedure; patients may suffer loss of blood and longer recovery time. In contrast, minimally invasive surgical alternatives like laser spine surgery, lumbar spinal stenosis, or lumbar interbody fusion limit blood loss, scarring, and expedite post-op recovery.
However, an Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion surgery is a more suitable option when the surgery is complicated by pre-existing conditions like brain tumors; disc replace conditions and jersey spine etc.
Complete Medical Wellness is a medical facility which provides a range of open, minimally invasive and non-invasive Neuro Spine treatments in NJ. It is fully equipped with the latest mechanisms in neuro-spine treatment modalities, which makes it a reliable facility for cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine surgery in NJ.
It is one of the few medical facilities offering specialized procedures such as Open Lumbar Decompression and Fusion treatments in NJ. It houses spine specialists and the best spine surgeon in NJ who are the most expert at spine surgery in NJ.