About Lumbar Microdiscectomy
Microdiscectomy, also known as Microdecompression is a minimally invasive surgical procedure performed on patients with a herniated disc or a degenerative disc disease in the lumbar spine.
Microdiscectomy relieves pressure on the nerve root by removing a piece of the bone which is pressing the spinal nerve. Removing the material pressing down on the spinal nerve alleviates the pressure on the nerve of the affected disc, which in turn reduces the pain associated with it.
Microdiscectomy is an open spinal surgery; however, it is minimally invasive as it only needs a small incision. It causes minimal tissue damage followed by a quick recovery, only a few weeks after the surgery.
Who Needs Microdiscectomy
Patients who have the following symptoms may be candidates of a Microdiscectomy:
- Herniated disc
- Severe pain and numbness in the leg or foot
- Excruciating back pain
- Acute neck pain
- Loss of bladder control
- Loss of feeling in the leg
- Loss of feeling in the genital area
- Nonsurgical treatments for herniated discs, such as physical therapy and pain management, have failed to provide relief from pain
How is Microdiscectomy Performed
Typically, a Microdiscectomy is performed by board certified neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons. Many of these spine surgeons have specialized training to perform complex surgical procedures such as a Microdiscectomy, Spinal Fusion Surgery, Laser Spine Surgery, surgery to remove brain tumors, and Spinal Stenosis, etc.
The Microdiscectomy surgery has five main steps:
- The spine surgeon will give general anesthesia to put the patient to sleep
- The surgeon locates the affected vertebrae of the spinal cord and makes a small incision in the skin to access the disc material.
- After dilating the muscles to create a space, the spine surgeons create a small opening of the lamina, above and below the spinal nerve.
- Surgeons locate the herniated disc and remove the part which is pressing down the nerve root.
- The tools are retracted, and the incision is stitched closed.
Complete Medical Wellness Center is a New Jersey spine disorders treatment center which provides a variety of minimally invasive spine surgery in NJ. Our state-of-the-art facilities provide the most effective Neuro-Spine treatments in NJ and NY. We have a team of board-certified neurosurgeons who are the most expert in Lumbar Spine Surgery in NJ. We can offer you relief from chronic pain through minimally invasive spinal procedures which heal within weeks.