About Sacroiliac Fusion
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction is a source of lower back pain and/or leg pain. The pain is caused by damage or injury to the Sacroiliac joint located at the junction of the spine and hip.
Sacroiliac Joint Fusion is the standard surgical procedure recommended for SI joint pain. Depending on the severity of the condition, the procedure can be minimally invasive or open. The objective of this surgery is to eradicate pain by limiting movement at the Sacroiliac SI Joint by attaching the Ilium to the Sacrum.
Sacroiliac Fusion procedure involves the use of implanted screws or rods, as well as a possible bone graft across the joint. Recently, minimally invasive procedures have been developed that can help in pain relief and disability in a shorter time period.
Sacroiliac Joint Fusion is only recommended once conservative treatments have failed to provide relief.
Who needs the Procedure?
Spine Surgeons recommend Spinal Fusion to patients who:
- Have been diagnosed with degenerative sacroiliitis or SI joint dysfunction
- Have lower back pain which spreads to the lower extremities of the body
- Are experiencing instability of the lower back and pelvis
- Have tried conservative treatment options for at least 8-12 weeks to no effect. They include Pain Medication, Steroid Injections, and Physical Therapy etc.
SI Joint Pain is hard to diagnose because it mimics the symptoms of other conditions like herniated discs or arthritis. Spine Specialists arrive at a conclusion after physical examination. Additionally, SI joint pain does not cause neck pain like the other two conditions.
How is it performed?
A minimally invasive Sacroiliac Joint Fusion is the safest surgical option for SI joint pain. The following steps can be expected from the surgery:
- The patient is administered general anesthesia
- A small incision is made in the lower back through which a hole is drilled in the Ilium to access the SI joint.
- A bone graft is placed along with surgical implants to fuse the Ilium to the Sacrum.
- Ligaments and muscles are put back in place and the incision is sutured.
Barring complications, the patient is discharged 24-48 hours after the surgery.
CMW is a Neuro Spine center dedicated to providing reliable spine surgery and Neuro Spine treatments in NJ. Our Neuro Spine department offers a variety of minimally invasive, open, and laser spine surgery procedures including Laminectomy, Sacroiliac Endoscopic Rhizotomy, and Sacroiliac Fusion treatments in NJ. Our state-of-the-art technological modalities enable us to provide reliable spine surgery in NJ.
CMW will enable you to receive treatment from an experienced spine surgeon in NJ. You will receive personalized care from a surgeon expert in Sacroiliac Surgery in NJ.
Call us today to get access to a state-of-the-art facility and one of the best medical care in New Jersey.