About Triceps Tear
The Triceps brachii or simply Triceps is a muscle at the back of the upper arm. It runs along the Humerus, between the shoulder and the elbow. It enables the retraction and extension of the forearm. The Triceps has three heads: the long, lateral, and medial head. A Triceps tendon tear is an injury to any of the three heads of the Triceps muscle which causes pain among other symptoms. A Triceps tear can result in partial or full detachment of the tendon from the bone. A Triceps tear or Triceps rupture is an uncommon condition, only 1% of the upper arm injuries consist of torn Triceps tendon. Athletes and individuals with preexisting medical conditions are more vulnerable to Triceps injury. Surgical and nonsurgical treatment options are prescribed for Triceps tear or Triceps strain treatment.
How do you know if you tore your Triceps? common symptoms of Triceps tear may alert you to the presence of the condition. Triceps tear symptoms may include:
- Pain in the Triceps, elbow, and shoulder
- Pain upon arm movement
- Limited arm movement
- Swelling near elbow
- A popping noise and tearing sensation
- Weakness in the upper arm
Triceps Tear Treatments
Depending on the severity of the tear, a torn Triceps can be treated through surgical and non-surgical treatment options.
- RICE: Surgeons recommend Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation (RICE) as the first line treatment for inflammation and pain caused by everyday wear and tear of the muscle.
- Anti-Inflammatory drugs and Pain medication are also an effective treatment for Triceps tendonitis. They can reduce Triceps muscle strain as the body heals itself.
- Corticosteroid injections and Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections are a secondary option for Triceps tendonitis treatment.
- Physical therapy is prescribed to heal and restore strength of pulled Triceps.
- Surgery is the most suitable option in case of a partial or complete Triceps tendon tear. Surgery is also prescribed if conservative treatments fail. Tendon repair and tendon graft are the most common surgeries for Triceps muscle tear.
Complete Medical Wellness (CMW) is a state-of-the-art medical facility which provides effective Treatment for Triceps tendonitis in NJ. Our Physicians and surgeons recommend treatment after careful evaluation of the torn tendon through physical examination, MRI and Triceps tear test.
Don’t be afraid to flex your muscles, call us today to receive effective Triceps tendonitis treatment in NJ.