Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction
What is Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction?
Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction is a surgical technique used to repair the Ulnar Collateral Ligament in the elbow. The procedure reconstructs the torn Ulnar Collateral Ligament in the elbow by replacing it with a tendon from another part of the body.
The aim of the Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction is to provide stability to the elbow, reduce pain, improve mobility, and restore the range of motion in the elbow.
- Athletes and individuals who use their arm repetitively for work or a hobby are more vulnerable to this condition.
- Children participating in Little league sports teams or involved in other sporting activities are also vulnerable to the condition.
This procedure is colloquially referred to as ‘Tommy John’ surgery, because of the baseball player Tommy John who first underwent this surgery successfully.
Who Needs Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction?
Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction is commonly used to treat torn UCLs from overuse injury and trauma. The following patients are eligible to receive this treatment:
- Patients who have been diagnosed with Elbow UCL Injury.
- Patients who were prescribed non-surgical Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament treatment prior to considering surgery.
- Patients who are showing no or minute signs of improvement with non-surgical treatments for Elbow UCL Injury.
- Patients who have been using non-surgical treatment for more than 3 weeks without any success.
- Patients who are experiencing a worsening of symptoms and a threat of permanent damage to the elbow.
Surgeons recommend surgical Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament treatment after exhausting all conservative treatment options.
How is Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction Performed?
The Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction surgery is typically performed as an outpatient procedure. This means that barring complications, the patient is discharged a few hours after the surgery.
Patients can expect the following steps in the Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction:
- General anesthesia is administered to the patient.
- A tendon graft is harvested from the patient’s own body or from a donor. The graft is commonly harvested from the hamstring tendon, Palmaris longus tendon from the forearm, and Big toe extensor tendon.
- The surgeon makes a 3-4-inch-long incision on the outside of the elbow.
- The surgeon carefully moves the muscles and ligaments aside to assess the damage to the tendon.
- The surgeon removes damaged parts of the tendons and if possible, attach the remaining parts of the tendon together.
- To implant the harvested tendon, two holes are drilled into the bones which are connected by the Humerus and the Ulna.
- The tendon graft is threaded through these holes and secured with sutures, screws or buttons.
- The tendon is commonly threaded using the docking technique which is less invasive than the figure-eight techniques.
- The incision is sutured closed and the elbow is bandaged.
- A hinged brace is also prescribed to provide support while the elbow heals.
What is Elbow Ligament Reconstruction Surgery Recovery Time?
The recovery time for Elbow Ulnar Collateral Reconstruction Surgery is between nine months and a year. Physical therapy is prescribed after a few weeks after the surgery to rehabilitate the elbow and return full range of motion.
Where Can you get Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Treatment?
You can receive reliable non-surgical and surgical treatment for UCL Injury at Complete Medical Wellness Center (CMW) in New Jersey. CMW is a medical facility, acknowledged for its premium services and empathetic patient care.
Our orthopedic department is equipped with state-of-the-art technology which enables our board-certified surgeons to perform sophisticated surgeries with ease.
Our surgeons are experts at tendon reconstruction surgeries such as Elbow Ulnar Collateral Reconstruction Surgery, Thumb Ligament Reconstruction Surgery, and Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Surgery.
You will receive the treatment your body needs for a UCL repair. Our Orthopedic surgeons will make sure that you are able to regain full range of motion after the surgery.
We are proud to boast a 90% success rate in all our surgical procedures. You will be provided:
- A modern, comfortable medical facility
- Attentive staff
- Board-certified orthopedic surgeons
- A wide range of proven orthopedic treatments
- Diligent post-op care
You can trust to give you the best and most effective Elbow Ulnar Collateral Ligament Treatment. Don’t give up on your goals, get the treatment you need today!