Proximal Hamstring Tear Treatments in NJ
What is Proximal Hamstring Tear?
A Proximal Hamstring Tear is a minor strain, partial tear, or complete tear of the hamstring muscles located at the back of the thigh. The hamstring muscles enable us to extend our legs and bend our knees.
Proximal Hamstring Tears are commonly caused by a sudden contraction of the hamstring muscle during strenuous exercise. Hence, individuals who undertake strenuous exercise are more vulnerable to proximal hamstring injuries.
Some common examples include:
- Baseball players
Proximal Hamstring Tear Symptoms
Most people who suffer from proximal hamstring tears strain will experience some of the following symptoms.
- Sharp pain
- A pop-up sound or sensation
- Difficult moving and bearing weight
- Swelling and deformity
- Pain and discomfort when sitting
Proximal Hamstring Tear Treatment
The treatment for Proximal Hamstring Tears depends on the severity of the condition. Proximal Hamstring Tears are divided into three categories based on their clinical representation:
- Grade 1 (mild): over-stretching
- Grade 2 (moderate): partial tear
- Grade 3 (severe): total rupture
A grade 1, and in some instances, grade 2 proximal hamstring tear, can be treated through non-surgical treatment options. However, surgery is required for a complete or total tea.
Non-Surgical Proximal Hamstring Tear Treatment
Doctors recommend the following non-surgical treatments for Proximal Hamstring Tear:
- The RICE Protocol is the first treatment. It involves Rest, applying Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Grade 1 injuries may show improvement after 3-4 weeks.
- The doctors may also prescribe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and pain medication as well. They help to relieve the symptoms.
- Proximal Hamstring Tear Physical Therapy is also prescribed to increase muscle flexibility
- If the hamstring does not heal with these treatments, the doctors may prescribe steroid injections to reduce inflammation. Steroid injections are injected directly into the muscle, and they are more effectual then generic antibiotics.
If the condition persists, then the doctor may recommend surgery.
Surgical Proximal Hamstring Tear Treatment h4
A surgery for Proximal Hamstring Tear can be done through an open surgical procedure or an endoscopic procedure. In most cases, an endoscopy is a preferred choice. However, if the tear is retracted or causing complications, then open surgery may be preferred.
Proximal Hamstring Tear Treatment in NJ
If you require Proximal Hamstring Tear surgery, then look no further than Complete Medical Wellness center (CMW) in New Jersey.
Our board-certified orthopedic surgeons are experts in performing proximal hamstring tear surgeries. We promise you:
- A state-of-the-art medical facility,
- Attentive staff,
- Comfortable post-op care,
- Expert surgeons, and above all
- A more than 90% probability of complete recovery.
Call us today to schedule an appointment.