Dr. Vishal Mehta is a sports medicine fellowship-trained board-certified orthopedic surgeon. His specific physician specialty is in sports medicine, robotic surgery, orthopaedic surgery and arthroscopy of the hip, shoulder, and knee. He is considered as one of the most reputable and expert orthopedic surgeons and is a published author of orthopedic articles.
Dr. Mehta received his medical degree at Northwell Hofstra University Hospital in Plainview, New York. He then continued training in Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy at MedStar Union Memorial Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland. There he was part of the medical teams for the NFL Baltimore Ravens, and Towson University Division 1 College Football.
Dr. Mehta also participated in team coverage for Loyola College, and local high school football. While rotating through Washington Hospital Center in Washington D.C., he assisted the head team physicians in the orthopedic care for the NBA Washington Wizards. He also headed the 2018 Stanley Cup Champion NHL Washington Capitals.
Dr. Mehta taught orthopedic residents and medical students during his fellowship as well. As a former athlete, Dr. Mehta understands the psychology of injuries. He stresses on the importance of injury prevention and regularly performs joint repair surgeries. His goal is to restore patients to their pre-injury health condition through best orthopedic treatments.
- MEDSTAR UNION MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Aug 2017 – July 2018)
Orthopedic Surgery Sports Medicine Fellowship Baltimore, Maryland
- HOFSTRA NORTHWELL SCHOOL OF MEDICINE (July 2012 – June 2017)
ACGME Accredited Orthopedic Surgery Residency Plainview, New York
- COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE (July 2008 – June 2012)
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Old Westbury, New York
- NEW YORK INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (Aug 2005 – June 2008)
Bachelor of Life Sciences, Magna Cum Laude 7-year Accelerated Medical Program Old Westbury, New York
- St. John’s Riverside Hospital – Andrus Pavilion – Medical Staff Sept 2018 – Ongoing
- St. John’s Riverside Hospital – Dobbs Ferry – Medical Staff Sept 2018 – Ongoing
- St. Joseph’s Medical Center – Clinical Assistant Attending Aug 2018 – Ongoing
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- New Jersey State Medical License Active
- New York State Medical License Active
- Basic Life Support June 2016
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support June 2016
- Advanced Trauma Life Support June 2015
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- New York State Osteopathic Medical Society
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
MEDICAL TEAM COVERAGE / VOLUNTEER SERVICE
- Sacred Heart High School Team Physician (Sept 2018 – Ongoing)
- Washington Wizards – NBA Game Coverage (Aug 2017 – Mar 2018)
- Baltimore Ravens – NFL Game Coverage (Aug 2017 – Mar 2018)
- Towson University – College Football Division I Team Physician (Aug 2017 – Mar 2018)
- New York Lizards, Major League Lacrosse (June 2015 – June 2017)
- North Shore/New Hyde Park School District, JV/Varsity Football (Sept 2015 – Nov 2017)
- USMMA Athletic Team Physical Exams / Wrestling Team Coverage (May 2014 – June 2016)
- Nanavati Hospital (Mumbai, India) Surgical skills and didactics (July 2012 – Ongoing)
- Triple Certification – Hip/Knee/Uni Arthroplasty Course (Jan 2018)
- Stryker Hip Arthroscopy Course for Fellows (July 2018)
- AOSSM Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellows Course (July 2017)
- MIPO Nailing Course – Stryker, Orlando, FL (Apr 2017)
- Glenoid Exposure and Reverse Total Shoulder Course, New York, NY (Nov 2015)
- Exactech Shoulder Fellows Course, New York, NY (Sept 2015)
- AAOS Fundamentals of Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, Baltimore, MD (June 2015)
- AAOS Fundamentals of Knee and Shoulder Arthroscopy, Rosemont, IL (Sept 2014)
- Student Government Association, 2nd Vice President – Admin. NYCOM (June 2010-June 2011)
- Chairperson Student Affairs Committee – NYCOM (June 2010-June 2011)
- Editor and Chief NYCOM Pulse student newspaper (June 2010-June 2011)
ACADEMIC AWARDS / RESEARCH
- Chief Orthopaedic Resident, Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program (July 2016 – June 2017)
- Northwell Heatlh System President’s Award – Teamwork Category (June 2015)
- Abstract Accepted: Mehta, V. The Effect of Weight Bearing versus Supine A/P Pelvis Radiographs when considering Hip surgery in an Active Adult Patient.
- Abstract Accepted: Bodendorfer, B., Mehta, V. Use of Regional Anesthesia in Hip Arthroscopy.
- Abstract Accepted: Zade, R., Mehta, V. Dreese, J. Biomechanical Effects of Nonanatomic Repair Of The Posterior Root Of The Lateral Meniscus
- Gurtowski J, Bitterman A, Karim F, Mehta, V. Multidisiplinary Approach to Reduce Blood Utilization with the use of Tranexamic Acid in Orthopedic Procedures at Huntington Hospital.
- Mehta V, Lee F, Patel M and Katsigiorgis G. Case Report: Bilateral Anterior Glenohumeral Dislocations. Austin Orthop. 2016 1(1): 1001
- Saghyan, A., LaTorre, G. N., Keesey, R., Sharma, A., Mehta, V., Rudenko, V., Hallas, B. H., Rafiuddin, A., Goldstein, B. and Friedman, L. K. (2010), Glutamatergic and morphological alterations associated with early life seizure-induced preconditioning in young rats. European Journal of Neuroscience, 32: 1897–1911. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-9568.2010.07464.x