Neck pain is also known as cervical pain, is one of the most common medical conditions. An injury, disease, or disorder in any one of cervical structures can cause neck pain.
What are the Causes of Neck Pain?
Neck pain can be mild or severe, and it can be caused by several medical conditions, injuries, and disorders. The primary cause of neck pain is poor posture. People often slouch while sitting, which slants the neck forward, positioning the head in front of the shoulders. This posture puts undue strain on the soft tissues of the neck, causing pain.
Apart from posture, the most common neck pain causes are:
- Repetitive or overuse injuries.
- Sleeping in the wrong position.
- Injury from sports.
- Damage caused by slip and fall accidents.
- Damage caused by auto-vehicle accidents.
- Whiplash injury.
- Degenerative Disc Disease.
- Neck strain and sprains.
- Herniated Discs.
- Cervical Spondylosis.
- Spinal Stenosis.
- Cervical Radiculopathy.
- Infections such as of the Lymph nodes, Tuberculosis, and Meningitis.
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica.
What are the Symptoms of Neck Pain?
The symptoms of neck pain are as varied as the causes of neck pain. The most common neck pain symptoms are:
- A slight ache at the base of the neck or between shoulders.
- Acute pain in the neck.
- Pain upon moving the neck from side to side, or up and down.
- A feeling of numbness and tingling.
Sometimes the following symptoms also occur alongside neck pain:
- Sharp or radiating pain in the neck.
- A collar that extends to the shoulder or lower back.
- Pain on the left or right side of the neck.
- Sometimes the pain may be accompanied by difficulty in swallowing saliva or food.
- Dizziness, nausea, and vomiting, along with neck pain.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Pulsating sensation in the neck.
- Neck pain is often associated with headache, shoulder pain, facial pain, ear pain, and arm pain.
- Neck pain after sleeping.
What Is the Treatment for Neck Pain?
The treatment for neck pain depends on the cause of neck pain. Once the cause of the neck pain gets diagnosed, then appropriate neck pain treatment can be adopted.
Some conventional treatments are:
- RICE Protocol and Medication.
- Neck Pain Exercises and Physical Therapy.
- Neck Braces and Collars.
- Chiropractic Care.
Schedule an online consultation with our pain management specialists and avail effective, reliable, and best pain management treatments in NJ.
Can Neck Pain Cause Headaches?
- You may experience headaches with neck pain; they often go hand in hand.
- Neck pain may cause problems like a stiff neck, herniated cervical disc, or irritated spinal nerves.
Is Neck Pain Serious?
- The majority of the time, neck pain is not a severe problem at all.
- But yes, in some cases, neck pain can be a symptom of cervical cancer, heart attack, and lymphoid, etc.
Which Pillow for Neck Pain Should I Use?
- The wrong pillow can strain the soft tissues of your neck, causing pain.
- You should use soft or memory foam pillows as they are a good option.
Can Neck Pain Cause Dizziness and Nausea?
- Yes, severe neck pain can cause dizziness and nausea.
- It is often a symptom of severe infection or brain bleed.